When Was the Last Time You Had Your Dryer Vent Cleaned?
Did you know that built-up lint in your dryer vent can endanger your family? That’s right! Your home has a better chance of catching on fire from a clogged dryer vent than from a blocked chimney.
The Dryer Vent is Not the Lint Trap
We are not talking about the lint trap you routinely clean out, but rather the vent that leads from the back or top of your dryer to the outside. That’s not to say that the lint trap you clean out is not important, because it is. However, you see this one and think about it often – at least we hope you do! The vent that leads from the dryer to the atmosphere is the one that is “out of sight and out of mind.” It’s also the one that can damage your home and potentially take a life.
Cleaning Your Dryer Vent Matters
When there is a blockage (such as lint or a bird’s nest) in your dryer exhaust vent:
- Your dryer will overheat- which may damage it
- Your dryer will cost more to operate
- You may begin to have humidity/mold problems
- You will spend a lot more time waiting for clothes to dry
- You will have a much higher risk of having a dryer fire
Prevention & Solution
Dryer vent cleaning improves the safety and efficiency of your dryer installation. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission in 2003, neglecting regular clothes-exhaust service resulted in over $107.3 million in residential fire property loss. Lint that collects in your vents is extremely combustible. With time and use, your dryer exhaust vent can fill with lint that gets past the dryer’s filter. As the lint builds up, this can cause over-heating, which can lead to a fire.
In addition to lint build up, improper installation of your dryer vent system can also create a serious hazard. Such problems as improperly routed dryer vents or vents that are damaged or disconnected can cause serious problems with both safety and efficiency.
Benefits of regular dryer vent cleanings can include:
- Fire prevention
- Reduced energy costs/utility bills
- Reduced drying times
- Increased life of your dryer and increased dryer efficiency
- Reduced maintenance calls
- Less wear on clothes from overheating and excessive tumbling
- Peace of mind
Clean Sweep of Anne Arundel County provides professional dryer exhaust vent cleaning. This includes detaching your dryer vent and cleaning the vent duct with special tools that allow us to thoroughly remove all lint and debris (such as animal or nesting material). We also check the connections and offer replacement of dryer vents using state-of-the-art, all-metal dryer venting products.
Click here to request an appointment online!
Our certified dryer vent technicians:
- Take the measurement of airflow using an air flow meter at the exterior dryer vent.
- Visually inspect the dryer vent and flexible ducting (from the wall) for correct type of duct work and absence of damage or disconnection.
- Connect the HEPA-Vacuum system to the dryer vent duct and run special brushes through the duct to remove lint, bird nesting and other possible obstructions.
- We can replace the transition connection if necessary, using state -of-the-art, all-metal dryer venting products and replace or install bird guards.
Annual dryer vent cleaning is more necessary than ever before because of the construction of homes today. Newer homes tend to have the dryers located away from an outside wall, in areas like bathrooms, kitchens and hall closets. While convenient to the homeowner, these new locations mean that the dryers tend to be vented for longer distances and may have more bends to accommodate the extended path. As a result, the dryer ducts are harder to access and this additional length creates more places where lint, animals and birds can nest and hide.