Be a Pro with These Fire Safety Tips
The Three Services You Should Schedule Every Year
Fire safety is one of the most important things you can do for your home and family. But it’s more than having a plan. You should be investing in preventative maintenance. Preventative maintenance will vary based on the appliances you have in your home, but we are going to give you three services you should book every year if you have a fireplace, furnace or clothes dryer. Our CSIA certified staff is always here to help you out with your home, chimney and dryer vents.
Do You Have a Fireplace or Chimney? Schedule an Inspection & Cleaning
Your annual chimney sweeping and inspection by a CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) certified technician is crucial in keeping your home and family safe from a potential fire. Your certified chimney technician will remove the damaging and dangerous creosote deposits from your chimney. Once the chimney is swept, your technician will inspect your chimney to make sure that it is structurally sound and free from any damage. A chimney that is cracked or damaged can allow heat and gases from your fire to access adjacent portions of your home. That can cause a fire hazard and put your family at risk from dangerous gases, such as carbon monoxide, in your home. Your certified chimney technician also will examine your chimney to make sure a fire has not gone undetected. While you may expect dramatic flames to shoot from the chimney during a chimney fire, often a chimney fire is a slow gentle burn. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t cause damages though! Without you being aware, a chimney fire can put your home at risk for a more devastating fire in the future.
Do You Have a Furnace or Hot Water Heater? That Flue Needs an Inspection & Cleaning Too
During the winter months, your system is constantly being used which produces by-products such as soot. Over time these can build up if neglected and restrict the flow of the harmful flue gases. Instead of being pushed outside, carbon monoxide will build up and be pushed back into your home, with soot. Additionally, soot is made up of carbon and sulfur and when it mixes with moisture or rain it forms a corrosive material that can damage and corrode the flue liner. This compromises the integrity of the liner leading to potential home and health hazards.
Another common misconception is that one liner size fits all, which is the not the case. If you are updating your furnace unit, size does matter! The proper venting size of your furnace flue is extremely important in the safety and performance of your furnace. Our chimney technicians understand the important elements to ensure the continued safe operation of your home heating system and that is part of our thorough inspection process.
Schedule a Dryer Vent Cleaning
Dryer vents are the second leading cause of fires in the home. These fires are preventable with proper maintenance. Each year 15,500 fires, 10 deaths and 310 injuries are caused by dryer exhaust fires, a rate so high that it has called for an alert from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Many homes have the clothes dryer and exhaust on an exterior wall with little distance to the outside.There are many others, especially in new construction, that are much longer, improperly installed and represent a real risk of fire. Having your dryer exhaust vent cleaned on a regular basis will reduce the risk of fire, reduce energy costs/utility bills, and reduce drying times. Having a CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician clean your dryer vent should be put on your To Do List every year.
What Makes Us Different?
- At Clean Sweep Anne Arundel County, we follow the Industry Standard of Care, National Fire Protection Association 211 Codes & Standards, and The International Residential Code Inspection and Procedures.
- We offer the Chim-Scan® Closed Circuit Internal Evaluation System.
- We utilize the latest tools and technology to ensure that your chimney and dryer venting systems are performing at optimal levels.
- Our commitment to a professional and quality service has allowed us to be one of the most respected and trusted chimney and dryer vent cleaning companies in Anne Arundel County.
- It is our mission to provide the highest level of customer service, repairs and products to our customers.
- All of our technicians are certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America. The CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep credential is the hallmark of excellence among chimney and venting service professionals. The CSIA has the only nationally recognized certification program for the chimney and venting service industry. Professionals who have earned the CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep credential have demonstrated their commitment to their industry and to fire and chimney safety.
Book Fire Safety Maintenance
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU CALL:
When you call we will have a couple questions for you.
- What is the appliance needing inspection? Is it a furnace, wood stove, or gas fireplace?
- What does the outside of the chimney look like? Is brick, stone, block, covered in siding or a metal pipe?
- Are you having any problems with your system? Campfire smell or odor, animals or birds getting in, system smokes inside the home when you use it, or water leaks?
- Are you buying or selling your home?
This information allows us to explain what our technicians will do when they come to your home and what to expect during our inspection process.
*If you don’t know these answers, it’s okay! We can help you figure it out.
You may have noticed that we don’t have prices listed with our services. That is because pricing is decided on multiple factors including the number of flues, type of appliance, etc. We are not the cheapest, but our testimonials are proof that we make our clients happy. For more information on pricing before your appointment, give us a call!