Gas fireplaces are highly efficient and easy to use, but just like any other type of fireplace, there are certain things to be cautious of when putting yours to use. We’ve provided a few guidelines for you to follow that will ensure your home and family stay as safe and as protected as possible in the upcoming fall and winter months. The start of your burning season is just around the corner!
Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors
A major threat associated with gas fireplaces is carbon monoxide exposure. Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that enters a person’s bloodstream and prevents oxygen from spreading through the body. This causes the person to pass out, then continue inhaling the gas until they pass away.
What makes carbon monoxide especially scary is its colorless, odorless nature. Detecting it is next to impossible, which is why all homeowners are encouraged to install detectors throughout their home. And be sure to regularly change the batteries, too!
Don’t Leave It Unattended
It seems obvious that a wood-burning fireplace should always be supervised, but do gas units need constant attention, too? You bet! All fireplaces, stoves, or heating devices, no matter the fuel they use, should always be monitored, and you should never leave it running when leaving your home or going to bed. Even gas units produce extreme heat and can cause a fire, resulting in hundreds of dollars worth of property damage.
Warn Children Of Danger
It’s an unfortunately common occurrence. A toddler will see the pretty flames of the fireplace, then place their hands on the glass to get a better look. In seconds, their palms are burned, and you’re rushing them to the emergency room. Many children have even faced burns hours after the fireplace has been turned off.
Make sure your little ones are well aware of how hot the glass gets and that they must stay far away from it. You can also purchase a children’s fireplace guard gate to keep your pets and children away.
Always Hire A Pro
From installation services to annual inspections to repair work and beyond, it is imperative that a qualified technician is handling all of the maintenance associated with your gas appliance. Even the most knowledgeable do-it-yourselfer can easily make a small mistake that winds up costing them hundreds in damages. Along with this, a faulty setup can lead to some dangerous scenarios for any family members within the home, including fires and gas leaks.
If you ask us, it’s not worth taking any chances. Why not give yourself the peace of mind you deserve and rely on us from the start? Whatever you need for your home heating appliance in Anne Arundel, Howard and Prince Georges counties, the team of experts at Clean Sweep of Anne Arundel County is here to help. We are experienced, qualified, and we will always put your needs first. Please reach out today, so we can get started!